In defense of journalists

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Mar 25 16:50:39 UTC 2004

Fred's comments are a little unfair. True, many journalists are
sloppy or ill informed, but in my experience the majority are smart
professionals who make an honest effort to get their facts straight.
It isn't easy to do justice to an unfamiliar subject when you're
working under deadline -- not many linguists would be able to knock
out 800 words on recent developments in string theory for tomorrow's
early edition. And you could point to some very good coverage of
language issues in the NY Times in particular, for example in
articles by Michael Erard, Margolit Fox, and Nicholas Wade. If these
seem like the exception in the general press, it's partly because
editors tend not to regard language as a reportorial specialty the
way they do other kinds of science writing, and so often assign
language stories to feature writers who come to the subject armed
with no more than the sense they were born with (or more accurately,
the sense they acquired in seventh grade at the business end of
Sister Petra's ruler.)

Geoff Nunberg