anchorman (1952?); Astroturf

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 28 22:11:55 UTC 2004

   Here we go again.

ANCHORMAN

    ADS-L archives.  I posted this on 26 June 2003:

  Color's Pretty, But Not Yet Ripe; 'Capitol Cloakroom' Has a Birthday; By
Sonia Stein; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Apr 2, 1950; pg.
L1, 2 pgsPg. L2:Producer Lewis Schollenberger...  (CBS--ed.)"We let them
dodger them any way they can, and since a good part of a Congressman's trade is
knowing how to deflect questions they are pretty successful," according to
Griffing Bancroft, anchor man on the team of newsmen who handle the show.

ASTROTURF

   From www.wordspy.com (PLUG: buy the book by Paul McFedries):

astroturf
(AS.troh.turf) n. A fake grass-roots movement.
—astroturfing pp.

Example Citation:
"Of the calls we are getting in the D.C. office, about half are Astroturf and
half are real," said Mr. Milburn, in Mr. Hobson's office, using Washington
parlance for calls that seem to be from individuals but are in fact orchestrated
by lobbying groups.
—Katharine Q. Seelye, "Public Is Flooding Capitol With Impeachment Views,"
The New York Times, December 15, 1998

Notes:
This word is a nice play on AstroTurf, a brand of artificial grass.

Earliest Citation:
Issue-oriented newspaper advertisements featuring clip-out coupons are often
designed to show that the sponsor's goal has grass-roots support. But the
"grass roots is AstroTurf in many cases, artificial turf," says Sen. Lloyd
Bentsen, D-Texas. A case in point, in his view, is the recent ad campaign by the
Distilled Spirits Council of the United States against increases in excise taxes
on liquor. Bentsen reports that a third of the 190 coupons his office received
were altered to express support for tax increases that the coupon says could
raise the price of a bottle of liquor $2 and "put a lot of people in the
beverage alcohol business out of work."
—"Playing on astroturf," The National Journal, April 19, 1986

Subject Categories:
The World - Activism
The World - Politics

Posted on December 17, 1998