anchorman (1952?)

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Sun Mar 28 23:54:03 UTC 2004

If I'm correct that the development of this term is something like this:
   (1a)  Bottom of graduating class (Navy)
   (1b)  Hindmost member of a tug-of-war team (Navy)
 > (2)  Last member of a team to play (relay race, bowling)
 > (3)  Pivotal or best member of a team (akin to cleanup hitter)
 > (4)  Host of a broadcast news program

Then it's not clear to me, without more context, whether Barry's citation
exemplifies (4) or (3) or possibly even (2),  even though it is indeed
about a broadcast news program.

--Tom Kysilko

At 3/28/2004 05:11 PM -0500, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>   Here we go again.
>ANCHORMAN
>
>     ADS-L archives.  I posted this on 26 June 2003:
>   Color's Pretty, But Not Yet Ripe; 'Capitol Cloakroom' Has a Birthday; By
>Sonia Stein; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Apr 2, 1950;
>  pg.
>L1, 2 pgsPg. L2:Producer Lewis Schollenberger...  (CBS--ed.)"We let them
>dodger them any way they can, and since a good part of a Congressman's trade
>  is
>knowing how to deflect questions they are pretty successful," according to
>Griffing Bancroft, anchor man on the team of newsmen who handle the show.

   Tom Kysilko        Practical Data Services
   pds at visi.com       Saint Paul MN USA