Let the chips fall/fly where they may/will (1855)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 29 07:17:53 UTC 2004

   Gregory Titleman states:  "The allusion is to the lumber industry: the woodcutter continues to hew and ignores any small chips that fly around as a result.  The proverb was used by Senator Roscoe Conkling (1829-88) of New York in a speech supporting the nomination of Ulysses S. Grant for a third presidential term."  The date given for that is 1880.

(WRIGHT AMERICAN FICTION)
Print Source: Ruth Hall
Fern, Fanny,
New York : Mason Brothers, 1855.
Pg. 338:  "HOW are you, Walter," said Mr. Lewis, extending his hand; "fine day; how goes the world with you?  They say you are a man who dares to 'hew to the line, let the chips fly in whose face they will.' ..."
  (This is also on MAKING OF AMERICA-MICHIGAN--ed.)

Print Source: Nellie Brown, or, The jealous wife
Detter, Thomas.
San Francisco : Cuddy & Hughes, 1871.
Pg. 102:  It is my duty to guard well every outlet of society, as well as its avenues.  I shall this day hew to the line, let the chips fly in whose face they may.

(MAKING OF AMERICA--CORNELL)
The Diplomacy of the Sword: pp. 360-370
p. 362 1 match of 'let the chips'
  in: Title: The United States Democratic review. / Volume 43, Issue 2
Publisher: J.& H.G. Langley, etc. Publication Date: October 1859
City: New York
   But we are discussing general principles; we must "hew the line, let the chips fly where they will."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Portsmouth Times - 12/31/1859
...that may be tured, I will hew to THE Hoe, LET THE CHIPS fall where THEy may." I believe.....wish, since THE matter has found its way to THE public prints, to state to THE public.....on a careful examination of THE law on THE subject, it appears to be THE duty, of.....be planned to continue THE buHiner.1! with THE former pntronR of THE house, nnd THE..
Portsmouth, Ohio   Saturday, December 31, 1859  839 k