Brand naming kids

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Mon Mar 29 13:06:26 UTC 2004

From:    "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <an6993 at WAYNE.EDU>

: A propos of our recent discussion there's an article in today's
: Detroit Free Press:

: http://www.detnews.com/2004/editorial/0403/28/a17-105077.htm

: I don't know how long it will be available, but it deals with some of
: the issues we've been ruminating on.

A similar article ran in the Orlando _Sentinel_ a month or so ago--it's an
interesting trend, but I have to wonder about some of the assumptions. For
example, is Saran *actually* derived from Saran Wrap (even unconsciously),
or is it simply derived from Sarah Ann? After all, there's enough brand
names out there that you could find a brand name for a huge number of
randomly chosen names, I'd suspect--I'm sure that somewhere out there
there's a company called David Industries or somesuch.

<David conducts a quick Google search>

Harry & David, for example. (Not to mention Davidia Online--which I'm not
sure is actually a brand name--and Davidon Homes.)

And all those Tiffanys being born right now are, I fear, not being named as
much after the jeweler as the annoying 80s singer.

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx