shindig

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Sun Mar 7 02:17:12 UTC 2004

Beverly Flanigan wrote:

>Yes, I agree on your timeline; shindig is way old!  But I was expressing
>surprise that a 1970s show (presumably) would be called "Shindig."  Disco
>was the "in" thing in the '70s (and I was already way too old for
>that).  But "hootenanny"-- that was indeed a Pete Seeger kind of term!

I evidently missed the previous post on 'shindig' but if it matters to
anyone, I have the following citation handy:

Saturday, December 21, 1878 Rochester Indiana The Rochester Sentinel
> Last week a shindig was given at Widow DICKERHOFF's in honor of one
>NEAISWANGER...
http://www.fulco.lib.in.us/genealogy/Tombaugh/Newspaper%20Excerpts/Html/Newspape
rs%201878.htm

If I have this, without ever having looked for it (before), surely someone
else has found something earlier...please let me know, since I don't have
any of the standard references handy.

Michael McKernan