Different Strokes For Different Folks (1967)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 3 00:27:27 UTC 2004

   Nah, nothing in the AFRO AMERICAN for "different strokes."
  The Sly Stone is from STAND!, which I believe is 1968.  See the FOUR FRESHMAN album DIFFERENT STROKES, then the Syl Johnson song, then dissertation (below), all from 1969.  However, there is one OCLC WORLDCAT record that seems to be clearly from 1967.

OT:  THE BEST OF R.E.M. song "Stand" should be banned from South African Airways.  "Stand in the place where you are"??  Has Michael Stipe flown South African?...This is a random test to see if the woman I happened to sit next to at the Village's Meskerem Ethiopian restaurant just now can Google.

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title:
Stand!

Author(s):
Stone, Sly.  (Performer - prf) (Composer - cmp)

Corp Author(s):
Sly & the Family Stone (Musical group) ; (Performer - prf)

Publication:
New York :; Epic,

Year:
1969

1 sound disc :; analog, 33 1/3 rpm, stereo. ;; 12 in.

Language:
English

Music Type:
Rock music

Standard No:
Publisher: BN 26456; Epic

Contents:
Stand! -- Don't call me nigger, whitey -- I want to take you higher -- Somebody's watching you -- Sing a simple song -- Everyday people -- Sex machine -- You can make it if you try.

SUBJECT(S)

Descriptor:
Rock music -- 1961-1970.

Note(s):
Lyrics on container./ Participants: Rock songs; featuring the composer (Sly) and the Family Stone.

Other Titles:
Don't call me nigger, whitey.; I want to take you higher.; Somebody's watching you.; Sing a simple song.; Everyday people.; Sex machine.; You can make it if you try.

Responsibility:
Sly & the Family Stone.

Material Type:
Musical recording (msr); LP recording (lps)

Document Type:
Sound Recording

Entry:
19790809

Update:
20040430

Accession No:
OCLC: 5257345

Database:
WorldCat

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title:
Different strokes for different folks ; How come?

Author(s):
Higgins, Monk.  (Performer - prf)

Publication:
Chicago, Ill. :; Chess,

Year:
1967

1 sound disc (6 min.) :; analog, 45 rpm, mono. ;; 7 in.

Music Type:
Popular music

Standard No:
Publisher: 1998; Chess

Contents:
Different strokes for different folks / Monk Higgins-Burgess Gardner (2:33) -- How come? / Monk Higgins (2:42)

SUBJECT(S)

Descriptor:
Soul music.
Saxophone with instrumental ensemble.

Note(s):
Instrumental.

Other Titles:
How come?

Responsibility:
Monk Higgins.

Material Type:
Musical recording (msr); 45 rpm (45s)

Document Type:
Sound Recording

Entry:
19910723

Update:
20011107

Accession No:
OCLC: 24118028

Database:
WorldCat

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title:
Different strokes for different folks;
an analysis of the urban lower class Negro's personality and culture as revealed in his music, rhythm and blues.

Author(s):
Jacobs, Michael William.

Year:
1969

ii, 146 l.

Language:
English

SUBJECT(S)

Descriptor:
African Americans -- Songs and music.

Note(s):
Includes bibliographical references./ Dissertation: Thesis (M.S.W.)--Jane Addams Graduate School of Social Work, University of Illinois at Chicago Circle.

Material Type:
Thesis/dissertation (deg); Manuscript (mss)

Document Type:
Book; Archival Material

Entry:
19940701

Update:
20040310

Accession No:
OCLC: 30698515

Database:
WorldCat

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title:
Different strokes

Corp Author(s):
Four Freshmen (Musical group)

Publication:
Los Angeles :; Liberty,

Year:
1960-1969?

1 sound disc :; analog, 33 1/3 rpm, stereo. ;; 12 in.

Language:
English

Music Type:
Popular music

Standard No:
Publisher: LST-7630; Liberty; LCCN: 94-759389

Contents:
It's not unusual -- Ob-la-di ob-la-da -- Faces -- A mam and a woman -- Cry like a baby -- Bitter Honey -- Everyday people -- Memphis -- A time for love -- Put a little love in your heart -- I will wait for you -- Hey Jude.

SUBJECT(S)

Descriptor:
Popular music -- 1951-1960.
Popular music -- 1961-1970.

Note(s):
Participants: Four Freshmen, vocals ; accompanied by orchestra.

Responsibility:
Four Freshmen.

Material Type:
Musical recording (msr); LP recording (lps)

Document Type:
Sound Recording

Entry:
19810105

Update:
20020930

Accession No:
OCLC: 7047085

Database:
WorldCat

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title:
Dresses too short

Author(s):
Johnson, Syl, 1936-  (Performer - prf)

Publication:
Chicago :; Twilight Records,

Year:
1960s

1 sound disc (27 min.) :; analog, 33 1/3 rpm, stereo. ;; 12 in.

Language:
English

Standard No:
Publisher: LPS-1001; Twilight Records

Contents:
Dresses too short -- I can take care of business -- Different strokes -- Sun drippin' -- Fox hunting on the weekend -- Ode to soul man -- Come on sock it to me -- I'll take those skinny legs -- Try me -- Same kind of thing -- I've got the real thing -- Sorry 'bout dat!

SUBJECT(S)

Descriptor:
Soul music.

Note(s):
Title from container./ Participants: Soul songs; Syl Johnson, vocals with instrumental ensemble.

Other Titles:
I can take care of business.; Different strokes.; Sun drippin'.; Fox hunting on the weekend.; Ode to soul man.; Come on sock it to me.; I'll take those skinny legs.; Try me.; Same kind of thing.; I've got the real thing.; Sorry 'bout dat!

Responsibility:
Syl Johnson.

Material Type:
Musical recording (msr); LP recording (lps)

Document Type:
Sound Recording

Entry:
19990210