"Honest as the day is long" (1814)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 3 23:00:49 UTC 2004

HONEST AS THE DAY IS LONG--2,560 Google hits, 2,560 Google Groups hits (Yes, same number)

(GOOGLE)
Quotations from Casablanca
... Carl: Honest? As honest as the day is long! [As he goes to hand Renault a bribe]
Jay Brandel: Capt. Renault ... may I? Capt. Louis Renault: Oh no! ...
www.dolan-heitlinger.com/Quote/quotcasablanca.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE)
http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/17/messages/1001.html
James Rogers needed to do more research. The following paste courtesy of the continually useful www.bartleby.com:-

The Columbia World of Quotations. 1996.

NUMBER: 59952
QUOTATION: Such is the labor which the American Congress exists to protect,-honest, manly toil,-honest as the day is long,-that makes his bread taste sweet, and keeps society sweet,-which all men respect and have consecrated; one of the sacred band, doing the needful but irksome drudgery.

ATTRIBUTION: Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), U.S. philosopher, author, naturalist. "Life Without Principle" (1863), in The Writings of Henry David Thoreau, vol. 4, p. 458, Houghton Mifflin (1906).

   1863.  Thoreau.
   There's no way we can beat Bartleby and the COLUMBIA WORLD OF QUOTATIONS, but we'll try.  "Merry as the day is long" is even older.  See "as the day is long" on Literature Online.

(WRIGHT AMERICAN FICTION)
Buckingham, Henry A.: Harry Burnham, the Young Continental... (1851) 1 match in 1 of 255 pages
PART SECOND.
CHAPTER VI.
f the southern barrier. Ki is a cunning rebel, though, I believe, an honest one." / "Yes, sir; honest as the day is long, which, I hope, all of us, of the same way of thinking, are.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
CUBA!; PHILOSOPHY OF THE OSTENDE CORRESPONDENCE. WITH PORTRAITS FROM LIFE.
The United States Review (1853-1856). New York: Jun 1855. p. 448 (11 pages)
(Somewhere here--ed.)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Fort Wayne Weekly Sentinel - 3/10/1875
...u straightforward fo low, HONEST AS THE DAY IS LONG, pleASan and agreeable in manners.....and would attend to business later in THE DAY, -bat AS DAY gradually .drew' to .its.....THE various inscriptions aud which have so LONG puzzled THE and1-; s'ehblarg.. ThIS.....annual meeting of THE bee keepra Society to-DAY President Green called tie meeting to..
Fort Wayne, Indiana   Wednesday, March 10, 1875  1310 k

Helena Independent - 3/25/1876
...Secretary of War, "i? AS HONEST AS THE DAY IS LONG." So wAS Bclknap and Dtlano and.....hIS lien. Still THE President IS a very HONEST, man, and THE Republicans have.....clear THE diture.s of THE War Department to DAY, ac i doubts that now cASt THEir .shadow.....Kll 3IAIX STREET. HKLKXA, [state, Mew i :i DAY at lioiuc. wanted. Outlitaud 5 I L terms..
Helena, Montana   Saturday, March 25, 1876  698 k

Nevada State Journal - 9/9/1877
...with THE Wadswortbites, AS HONEST AS THE DAY IS LONG, true AS fcteel, slirka to bIS.....Three regular trains go each way every DAY, and oooiaiiion ally a special IS sent.....to THE aouth, aud THE trade and trawl for LONG Villey. Sierra Valley. BurprlM Valle.....obser lead to THE belief that Wadsworth IS AS pood a little to.vn AS can bo found..
Reno, Nevada   Sunday, September 09, 1877  527 k

(LITERATURE ONLINE)
   Dunlap, William, 1766-1839 [Author Page]
The Good Neighbor (1814)  36Kb
THE GOOD NEIGHBOR: AN INTERLUDE. IN ONE ACT. ALTERED FROM A SCENE OF IFFLAND'S BY WILLIAM DUNLAP. AS PERFORMED AT THE NEW-YORK THEATRE.  34Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text  33Kb [URL for this text]
ACT I.  33Kb [URL for this text]
Scene  33Kb [URL for this text]
...be sure poor, but honest as the day is long!' [Standardized name]...

   Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 [Author Page]
The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade. (1857)  669Kb
The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade.  666Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text  656Kb [URL for this text]
CHAPTER XXII. IN THE POLITE SPIRIT OF THE TUSCULAN DISPUTATIONS.  44Kb [URL for this text]
...in my eye---a very likely little fellow, indeed." "Honest?" " As the day is long. Might trust him with untold millions....