Lawsy Mercy (1867)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 6 03:08:10 UTC 2004

LAWSY MERCY--15 Google hits, 36 Google Groups hits

   An interesting, old Americanism.  Not in OED.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
From: Mac McDougald (mac at novell.ur.utk.edu)
Subject: Re: Some funny words in E. Tenn. and SW Va.
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: alt.appalachian
Date: 1994-02-16 21:18:36 PST

>(1) Law.... to begin a sentence.  "Law I reckon he made moonshine by the
>barrelfull."  A variation is "Ellaw, she shore is in bad shape..."  The
>latter is used to express sympathy, etc.

Basically from Lord (a no no way back when, bout like goddamn now...people
wouldn't let kids read Tom Sawyer cause of the "Lordy, lordy"s in it)...
Blacks (I think) popularized the milder term "Lawsy, lawsy" from whence
law evolved I still hear my grandmother (96) say "Lawsy mercy!" (rough
translation : "Lord of mercy!") ...my mother still says "Law's sakes!"
Ellaw is "translated" as sort of "Ah Lord".

Just a way to curse without feeling like The Big Guy is gonna curse
you back...

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
Front Material 1 -- No Title
The Ladies' Home Journal (1889-1907). Philadelphia: Jul 1906. Vol. Volume XXIII,, Iss. Number 8; p. 0_003 (4 pages:
Third page:  As she repeated it aloud slowly she remarked to her nephew: "Lawsy mercy!  Well, I've hearn tell of Smiths all my life, but I never knew before where they made 'em."

(LITERATURE ONLINE)
1. Cary, Alice, 1820-1871 [Author Page]
The Bishop's Son. (1867)  1049Kb
The Bishop's Son.  1046Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text  1034Kb [URL for this text]
CHAPTER X. DR. ALLPRICE IN LOVE.  43Kb [URL for this text]
...vital energies, in consequence, receiving a defective, nervous supply. " Lawsy mercy!" says the cooper, not knowing what else to say;...

(WRIGHT AMERICAN FICTION)
Cary, Alice, (1820-1871): The Bishop's Son (1867) 1 match in 1 of 418 pages

CHAPTER X.

and capillaries, the vital energies, in consequence, receiving a defective, nervous supply. / "Lawsy mercy!" says the cooper, not knowing what else to say; "a total loss of witality must be dread

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Iowa City Press Citizen - 6/18/1948
...daughter's married and well for to do. LAWSY MERCY massy boys, I'm on the.....state representative, is a patient at MERCY hospital. Mr. and Mrs. Harry Larew..
Iowa City, Iowa   Friday, June 18, 1948  808 k

Indianapolis Star - 12/31/1913
...has many and too costly clothes on her LAWSY MERCY We had thought the too-few.....and much-applauded method of granting MERCY to corporations, an exemplified in..
Indianapolis, Indiana   Wednesday, December 31, 1913  1165 k

Traverse City Record Eagle - 12/9/1948
...IT'S A SURPRISE By LES FORGRAVL, LAWSY MERCY.' PAT ROCK KNOCKED HIM FLAT..
Traverse City, Michigan   Thursday, December 09, 1948  596 k