One for the money, two for the show (1892)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 9 01:38:09 UTC 2004

ONE FOR THE MONEY--25,300 Google hits, 6,200 Google Groups hits
TWO FOR THE SHOW--18,700 Google hits, 2,760 Google Groups hits

   THE OXFORD DICTIONARY OF MODERN QUOTATIONS (1991) has just the Carl Perkins-Elvis song.  But the phrase is earlier.
   I hate to say this, but I'm sure that I recall seeing this in the now infamous "missing American Periodical Series Online PUCK years (1878-1901)."

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: quotes on marriage
... She married a millionaire, an actor, a preacher, and an undertaker. One
for the money; two for the show; three to get ready; and four to go! ...
alt.quotations - Jun 5, 1999 by Frank Bohan - View Thread (10 articles)

IM Carl Perkins [April 9, 1932 - January 19, 1998]
"Well, its one for the money, Two for the show, Three to get ready, Now go, cat,
go But don't you step on my blue suede shoes." -- Carl Perkins -- Gareth Owen ...
alt.quotations - Jan 19, 2004 by Gareth Owen - View Thread (1 article)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Bismarck Tribune -  6/3/1921
...we'll an jump togeTHEr. ONE FOR THE mONEy, TWO FOR THE SHOW, three to make.....desirable rooms, suitable Jor ONE or TWO gentlemen. Phono SS7-K. FOR TWO..
Bismarck,  North Dakota     Friday, June 03, 1921   689 k

Appleton Post Crescent -  7/12/1921
...we'll all jump togeTHEr. ONE FOR THE mONEy, TWO FOR THE SHOW, three to make.....serve at once. Sour Cream Cake TWO and ONE-half cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking..
Appleton,  Wisconsin     Tuesday, July 12, 1921   736 k

Iowa Recorder -  12/13/1922
...right. All ready? Now THEn ONE FOR THE mONEy TWO FOR. THE SHOW three to make.....again. That's right; swing your arms. ONE TWO three THEre you AnoTHEr silence..
Greene,  Iowa     Wednesday, December 13, 1922   665 k

Appleton Post Crescent -  10/3/1923
...at home." he said THEn ONE FOR THE mONEy, TWO FOR THE SHOW, three to make.....of: dietetics and self-control all in ONE. A glimpse behind THE covers rei..
Appleton,  Wisconsin     Wednesday, October 03, 1923   762 k

Marion Star -  7/11/1929
...TOFTHE BY SIDNEY SMITH ONE FOR THE MONEY, TWO FOR THE SHOW THE GUMPS BY AD.....RUSS WESTOVER WISE NIFTY TILLIE THE TOILER I GET AL.U HOT AND bOTHERET..
Marion,  Ohio     Thursday, July 11, 1929   514 k

Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune -  3/5/1930
...dive, Bonnie Dundee ONE FOR THE mONEy, TWO FOR THE SHOW come on, Bonnie Let's.....THE land of Egypt, and was solved by ONE of THE first economists of which..
Wisconsin Rapids,  Wisconsin     Wednesday, March 05, 1930   1014 k

Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune -  7/2/1932
...SERVICE. INC. SSftP BOOK ONE FOR THE mONEy, TWO FOR THE SHOW, three to get.....Better paste him in right now, FOR as sure as buzzin', THE wasps that..
Wisconsin Rapids,  Wisconsin     Saturday, July 02, 1932   646 k

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title:
Swing your blues away.

Author(s):
Dempsey, Rex.

Publication:
New York :; Broadcast Music Inc.,

Year:
1940, ©1941

1 score (5 p.) ;; 32 cm.

Language:
English

Music Type:
Popular music

SUBJECT(S)

Descriptor:
Popular music.

Note(s):
For voice and piano./ Caption title./ Includes chord symbols and guitar chord diagrams./ "Contest winner of the Tommy Dorsey: Amateur Song Writing Program" -- cover./ First line of text: Rich man, poor man./ First line of chorus: One for the money, and two for the show.

Document Type:
Score

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
Two Girls and A Boy.; CHAPTER I. CHAPTER II.
ROBERT HOWE FLETCHER. an Illustrated Magazine for Young Folks (1873-1907). Jan 1892. Vol. 19, Iss. 3; p. 178 (8 pages)
Sixth page:
   "I like to play with boys.  Can you run fast?  I bet I can beat you.  Now, one for the money!  Two for the show!"  And Leslie put her foot out and began swaying her body for the start.
   "I don't want to run," said Mildred.
   "Three to make ready!" cried Leslie, warningly, and preparing to start without heeding Mildred's protest.
   But at that moment Eliza made her appearance, and called to the girls that Mrs. Morton was going.

JAMES ALEXANDER HENSHALL; THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF THE APOSTLE OF THE BLACK BASS, FATHER OF THE GRAYLING AND DEAN OF AMERICAN ANGLERS
A Journal of Outdoor Life, Travel, Nature Study, Shooting, Fishing, Yachting (1873-1930). Aug 1919. Vol. Vol. LXXXIX., Iss. No. 8.; p. 402 (4 pages)
First page:
"One for the money; two for the show;
Three to make ready, and four for the go!"

(MAKING OF AMERICA--CORNELL)
John March, Southerner, by George W. Cable: pp. 634-657
p. 653 1 match of 'one for the money'
  in:
Title:
Scribner's magazine. / Volume 16, Issue 5
Publisher:
Charles Scribner's Sons
Publication Date:
November, 1894
   So!--One for the money, two for the show, three to make ready, and four to--"Ha, ha, ha!"