One for the money, two for the show (1892); Pukora (1932)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 9 17:17:53 UTC 2004

ONE FOR THE MONEY (continued)

   I'll check the other versions in Literature Online.  This appears to be
close:

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
New York Daily Times - 9/27/1855
...are we, for sue sure The one TO ready TWO TO PREPARE, was on the point go,
the.....aa Ifi TO [nqnlre 0fThu Jul the Leer, TWO I Ihey huve br who them
year afler..
New York, New York   Thursday, September 27, 1855  740 k

PUKORA

PUKORA + INDIAN--1 Google hit ("Did you mean to search for pakore Indian")
PAKORA + INDIAN--6,230 Google hits

   OED has 1954 for "pakora," or "pakhora."  On closer examination, this
appears to be a different spelling of the same item.  I don't know what the OED
revision currently has.

CURRIES AND OTHER INDIAN DISHES
by Mulk Raj Anand
London: Desmond Harmsworth
1932

Pg. 93:
   PUKORA
1/2 lb. gram flour.
1/2 bottle mustard oil (20 fluid oz.), or 1/2 lb. lard
Any vegetables.
Some cummin seed.
Salt and pepper to taste.
   Take some gram flour and make a batter of it by mixing it with water.
Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste and a little cummin seed.
   Boil some oil or lard in a deep pan.
Pg. 94:
   Take onions peeled, either whole or chopped, or take some other
vegetables, i.e., brinjals or cauliflower, cut into pieces.
   Dip the pieces in the batter and put them to fry in the oil.
   Serve as an afternoon dish with cold chapatis.