Sticks and Stones (1909); I Saw Esau (1870)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 10 06:35:07 UTC 2004

STICKS AND STONE MAY BREAK MY BONES, BUT NAMES/WORDS CAN NEVER HARM ME

STICKS AND STONES + BREAK + BONES--30,400 Google hits, 21,900 Google Groups hits

   A classic.  This could be posted to the American Name Society as well.
   But what date is attached?  Why is it not in the Opies' THE OXFORD DICTIONARY OF NURSERY RHYMES?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Fort Wayne News -  1/25/1913
...herself for that two bits. 'STICKS AND STONES will break my BONES, but Carrel's.....a new medicine that will heal broken BONES in four days, expects to do even..
Fort Wayne,  Indiana     Saturday, January 25, 1913   788 k

New Oxford Item -  12/7/1916
...him to a sense of his duty. STICKS AND STONES could break his BONES, .but words.....him in her presence, AND secretly hope AND pray for him to outgrow his follies..
New Oxford,  Pennsylvania     Thursday, December 07, 1916   813 k

Bridgeport Telegram -  7/16/1918
...Bridgeport's motto is. "STICKS AND STONES may break our BONES but names wiH.....Bridgeport. Bridgeport" had a river AND for the past three IDIGESTION AND..
Bridgeport,  Connecticut     Tuesday, July 16, 1918   764 k

Bridgeport Telegram -  5/26/1922
...he took the slogan: "STICKS AND STONES may break my BONES, But names.....kindly advise mo whether or not gall-STONES can be cured by any method other..
Bridgeport,  Connecticut     Friday, May 26, 1922   733 k

Bridgeport Telegram -  3/25/1925
...insulting names at us. "STICKS AND STONES will break my BONES But names.....Germany AND against. America. Grant AND Gertnide flirt AND fence skillfully..
Bridgeport,  Connecticut     Wednesday, March 25, 1925   760 k

Bee -  8/7/1926
...E. Borah break no French BONES, but STICKS AND STONES, like Senator Da-rid A.....AND a dog, in our house The dbg is a AND his character AND disposition are..
Danville,  Virginia     Saturday, August 07, 1926   920 k

Bismarck Tribune -  8/11/1926
...K. Borah break MU French BONES, but STICKS AND STONES, like Senator Member.....very punctilious ubout such things, AND T went up to my room AND the door..
Bismarck,  North Dakota     Wednesday, August 11, 1926   688 k

Lincoln Star -  7/16/1931
...in Rome, as farther north, "STICKS AND STONES may )reak my BONES; but hard.....improve AND the interior of ytrar car AND mafce cool AND comfortable. Coupes..
Lincoln,  Nebraska     Thursday, July 16, 1931   910 k

(LITERATURE ONLINE)(Poetry)
3. Tusser, Thomas, 1524?-1580  [Author Page]
Ianuaries abstract. Chap. 31.   12Kb  , [from Fiue hundred pointes of good Husbandrie (1580)] [URL for this text]

Found 2 hit(s):

25 1Kb   1Kb

...Rid grasse of bones, of sticks and stones.
...Rid grasse of bones, of sticks and stones.

 Wylie, Elinor, 1885-1928  [Author Page]
THE TORTOISE IN ETERNITY   2Kb  , [from Nets To Catch The Wind: By Elinor Wylie (1921), Harcourt, Brace and Company] [URL for this text]

Found 2 hit(s):

...And after they are dead. Sticks and stones may break their...
...and stones may break their bones, And words may make them...

(LITERATURE ONLINE)(Drama)
W. S., fl. 1594  [Author Page]
Locrine (1664)  166Kb

The Tragedy of Locrine, the eldest Son of King Brutus.  164Kb [URL for this text]
Found 12 hit(s):

Main text  163Kb [URL for this text]

Actus Primus.  30Kb [URL for this text]

Scena Secunda.  19Kb [URL for this text]

...chilling cold possesseth all my bones, Black ugly death with visage...

...greater care torments my very bones, And makes me tremble at...

...of death compasse my crazed bones, Thus to you all my...

...now that we interre his bones, That was a terror to...

Actus Secundus.  39Kb [URL for this text]

Scena Sexta.  9Kb [URL for this text]

...is my Master dead? O sticks and stones, brickbats and bones,...

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
THE TORTOISE IN ETERNITY
BY ELINOR WYLIE. Current Opinion (1913-1925). New York: Jul 1921. Vol. VOL. LXXI, Iss. No. 1; p. 124 (1 page) :
Sticks and stones may break their bones,
And words may make them bleed;
There is not one of them who owns
An armor to his need.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Display Ad 2 -- No Title
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jun 25, 1909. p. I2 (1 page) :
Sticks and Stones May Break Our Bones
But Critics Cannot Hurt Us
(Ad for HAMBURGER'S MAJESTIC THEATER--ed.)

I SAW ESAU

I SAW ESAU--789 Google hits, 139 Google Groups hits

   The Opies did a book with this title.  What date did they come up with for it?

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
THE CURIOSITIES OF KISSING.
J. BRANDER MATTHEWS. The Galaxy. A Magazine of Entertaining Reading (1866-1878). New York: Aug 1873. Vol. VOL. XVI, Iss. No. 2.; p. 280 (4 pages)
Second page:  ...and besides others, the excrutiating London "serio-comic" song, the chorus of which is:
   I saw Esau kissing Kate,
   The fact is, we all three saw;
   For I saw Esau, he saw me,
   And she saw I saw Esau!

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Ohio Democrat -  5/17/1872
...Kate The fact Is, we all three I SAW ESAU, he SAW me, And she SAW I SAW ESAU.....down an aboraInab Bnmble of Bashaw. I SAW ESAU kIssIng..
New Philadelphia,  Ohio     Friday, May 17, 1872   1010 k

Grand Traverse Herald -  1/8/1874
...The fact Is, we all three SAW I SAW ESAU, ho SAW me, And she SAW I SAW ESAU.....and Vest VI mI ham von Vednesday. 1 SAW ESAU kIssIng Kate..
Traverse City,  Michigan     Thursday, January 08, 1874   1405 k

Grand Traverse Herald -  1/8/1874
...The fact Is, we all three SAW I SAW ESAU, ho SAW me, And she SAW I SAW ESAU.....and Vest VI mI ham von Vednesday. 1 SAW ESAU kIssIng Kate..
Traverse City,  Michigan     Thursday, January 08, 1874   1405 k

Elyria Independent Democrat -  3/16/1870
...the fact Is we all three SAW for I SAW ESAU' he sh me And she SAW I SAW ESAUI A.....of the 18th Day of ''February, 1870. I SAW Esan kIssIng Kate; And..
Elyria,  Ohio     Wednesday, March 16, 1870   876 k

Decatur Republican -  11/27/1873
...The fuel Is, we all three 81 I SAW ESAU, lIe SAW tne, And she SAW I SAW.....tbe all the SAWs I ever sa nevor u suw SAW as thIs gt; Crazy Crayloot caught a..
Decatur,  Illinois     Thursday, November 27, 1873   187 k

Indiana Democrat -  5/5/1870
...I SAW Et-au, he SAW me, And she SAW I SAW ESAU. The prI-ttIest gIrl In IndIana.....In the Idea. The chorus runs thus I SAW ESAU kIssIng Kate, And the that we..
Indiana,  Pennsylvania     Thursday, May 05, 1870   910 k

Edwardsville Intelligencer -  2/17/1870
...the (act Ie we all three SAW Per I SAW ESAU, lIe sow me, And ehc SAW I SAW ESAU.....In the Idea. The chorus runs thus 1 SAW ESAU kIssIng Kate, Aad..
Edwardsville,  Illinois     Thursday, February 17, 1870   959 k

Evening Gazette -  3/2/1871
...peculIarly IDomIc song entItled] "I. SAW ESAU KIssIng Kate." He also..
Port Jervis,  New York     Thursday, March 02, 1871   716 k

Evening Gazette -  1/17/1871
...the evemIng a comIc BOG 3 entItled, "I SAW ESAU KIssIng wb., a elIcIted loud..
Port Jervis,  New York     Tuesday, January 17, 1871   737 k

Daily Republican -  11/20/1873
...The Iu, wo all three snw I SAW ESAU, lIe SAW me, And she SAW I snw.....all the sIIws I over SAW SAW, I Icvor SAW a SAW SAW as thIs SAW SAWs. Crnzy..
Decatur,  Illinois     Thursday, November 20, 1873   624 k