eye for a prune

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue May 11 16:07:24 UTC 2004

>The suggestions below are very interesting.  However, now that I've seen
>some context (garnered from Google) I might suggest another
>interpretation, albeit less interesting.  The context was this:
>
> >Bush, Ashcroft et al have taken yur eyes and given you a prune >under the
>guise of a "War on Terror."

Note that this is not necessarily a spontaneous usage. This item dates from
five days ago, on the "Phrase Finder" board, where somebody posted the same
question as presented in this list. This was the sole response, and I think
any arbitrary phrase could have been used as a springboard for a similar
'rant'. Note that the phrase has been slightly amended (pluralized "eyes")
in order to adapt it to the desired (I believe probably brand new and
artificial) context.

-- Doug Wilson