American as Apple Pie (1921); A Little Garlic (1935); When You Assume (1984)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed May 12 13:50:00 UTC 2004

        I well remember an eighth grade teacher, in 1973, saying "when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me," and writing "ASSUME" and "ASS U ME" on the blackboard.  He said that he learned this in the Marine Corps.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 1:38 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: American as Apple Pie (1921); A Little Garlic (1935); When You
Assume (1984)

WHEN YOU ASSUME...

WHEN YOU ASSUME + ASS + YOU + ME--2,300 Google hits,  3,880 Google Groups
hits

   Not a food phrase, but just going down the list.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Chronicle Telegram - 4/1/1986
...WHEN YOU ASSUME soMEthing, YOU put an 'ASS' before V and 'ME.'" They were
right.....By Gary Larson WE RSKBP TO surnaME -ME ME 65 IT MS I..AFTBR HAVW M
fiFFAlK..

News - 5/7/1993
...We all know what happens WHEN YOU ASSUME soMEthing: YOU make an ASS out
of.....Ms. Ashley said. never occurred to ME to go through the criminal
justice..
Frederick, Maryland Friday, May 07, 1993  527 k

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Re: Re: The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson
... Sorry for the misinformation. Greg Muth PS: "when you ASSUME, you make an
ASS out of U and ME." Helen Flint My sophomore History Teacher
net.music - Jan 9, 1984 by Gregory Muth - View Thread (2 articles)