"Exhaust oneself of" = 'get tired of'

Sun May 16 00:55:38 UTC 2004

This usage is unfamiliar to me.  I spotted it in a paragraph near the
end of the article "Newest Gay Mecca Is Less of Key West, More of
Mayberry" (The New York Times, May 15, 2004;
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/15/national/15WILT.html?pagewanted=2).

Here is the quote, with some context to help establish the meaning:

Mr. Cameron, who is gay, had exhausted himself of life in a tiny studio
apartment on the Upper West Side in Manhattan for which he paid $1,300 a
month.

"There's a real community here," Mr. Cameron said when he got off the
phone. "They already know what I drink at Georgie's Alibi. At the gay
coffee shop they know I like mochas. In New York, I went to the same
coffee shop every day and no one knew who I was."

Also, Mr. Cameron noted, "I used to pay $40 to get into a club; here I
can buy two drinks for $5."
        <<<

-- Mark A. Mandel