Jazz; Lexical Database; Poseidon Bakery and Greek goodies

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 16 03:02:31 UTC 2004

   NYU Bobst library is closed all weekend.  It had better have the Chicago
Tribune when I check on Monday.  I hate to ask Fred for "upside-down cake,"
"club(house) sandwich," "pizza," "bagel," "goetta," "ice cream cone,"  and such.
   Just got back from the great Ninth Avenue International Food Street Fair,
37-57th streets.  It's still a lot of corn dogs and funnel cakes kinds of
stuff.

JAZZ

   Congratulations for Fred's CHICAGO TRIBUNE 1915 "jazz" find.  I sent
copies to rec.music.jazz, Nat Hentoff through the Village Voice
(www.villagevoice.com),  NY Sun jazz columnist Will Friedwald (unclefreeds at nyc.rr.com), Lewis
Porter of Rutgers (Lrpjazz at aol.com), and Gerald Cohen's friend at
debjazz at uchicago.edu.  Everyone should get the message within 24 hours.
   Eventually, I'll even e-mail the devil--otherwise known as the Chicago
Tribune reader ombudsman.
   Keep in mind to look for "jaz" and "jass" as well as "jazz," and that
explanations later than 1915 can still be very useful.

LEXICAL DATABASE SOFTWARE

   I'll soon need some for my food dictionary.
   Try this query over at DSNA, the Dictionary Society of North America.

POSEIDON BAKERY

   Something to munch on while watching TROY.
   The CHICAGO TRIBUNE and the NEW YORK TIMES both represent cities with
large Greek populations and should help as I research these Greek food terms.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)