Bismarcks (1894); Laws are like sausages (1871)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 20 07:07:08 UTC 2004

DOUBLE POSTING--The "hot dog" post didn't go through, I posted again, and
both posts made the list.  Happens every time.  Sorry.

AFRO AMERICAN (Baltimore)--Paper of Record now has it through the end of
1965.  No "Different Strokes."  Here's the earliest "soul food":

    1       Afro American       2       Saturday, September 4, 1965     News
    19      News
    2       Afro American       2       Saturday, September 11, 1965
News      05      News
    3       Afro American       2       Saturday, September 25, 1965
News      19      News
    4       Afro American       2       Saturday, October 2, 1965       News
    29      News
    5       Afro American       2       Saturday, October 23, 1965      News
    35      News

PROQUEST CHICAGO TRIBUNE--I can't find anything about it yet.  ProQuest
hasn't even put out a press release about the Chicago Tribune.

BISMARCKS

   More on "Bismarcks" or "Bismarks."  Again, John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF
AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999) states that the "earliest references to
bismarcks date to the 1930s."
  The NYPL doesn't seem to have this book that I went through today at NYU
Special Collections.

Author  <A HREF="http://www.bobcat.nyu.edu/WebZ/GeacSCAN?sessionid=01-33094-2024683646Whitehead, Jessup.
Title   The American pastry cook : a book of perfected receipts for making
all sorts of articles required of the hotel pastry cook, baker, and
confectioner, especially adapted for hotel and steamboat use, and for cafés and fine
bakeries / by Jessup Whitehead.
Edition 7th ed.
Publisher   Chicago : J. Whitehead & Co., 1894.
Description 225, ii p. ; 27 cm.
Series  Whitehead, Jessup.Oven and range series ;  v. 1.
The Oven and range series ; v. 1
Notes   Spine title: Hotel pastry cook.
Three of the parts have separate title pages.
Includes index.
SpecCol c.1 is from the library of Cecily Brownstone. NNU
Contents    The hotel book of fine pastries -- The hotel book of puddings --
The hotel book of breads and cakes -- The hotel book of salads and cold
dishes.
References  Bitting, K.G. Gastronomic bib., p. 494
Subject (LCSH)  Cake.
Confectionery.
Quantity cookery.
Related name(s) <A HREF="http://www.bobcat.nyu.edu/WebZ/GeacSCAN?sessionid=01-33094-2024683646Brownstone, Cecily,  former owner.
Other titles    Hotel pastry cook.

Pg. 60:  Bismarcks.
   Large doughnuts of the plain sort directed at No. 561, with a teaspoonful
of stewed fruit inside, cut out like thin biscuits, allowed to rise and then
fried.

LAWS ARE LIKE SAUSAGES

   I don't know what Fred Shapiro (the legal quotations expert) has for this
famous line.  See below.
   Maybe Bismarck didn't say it?  At the very least, it's from 1871 and --hot
dog!--from Chicago.  (O.T.  The city burned right after this.)

(GOOGLE)
http://lawlibrary.ucdavis.edu/LAWLIB/Dec02/0084.html
RE: Bismarck, laws and sausages