Mayville Area

Terry Irons t-irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU
Sat May 22 13:26:17 UTC 2004

Julia,

There are three audiotapes of Kentucky informants in the DARE project from the Maysvill
area:  KY 050 from Washington (small community near Maysville), KY 044 from Louisa in
Lawrence County, and KY 056 from Owingsville in Bath County.  Joan Hall can tell you
about availability of the tapes.

While I cannot make any claims about the distinctiveness of the area in terms of
vocabulary or morpho-syntactic features, I can say that the speech in the Maysville area
is NOT phonologically distinct from that of the other areas in northeastern Kentucky along
the Ohio Valley area.