Hypercorrection of /w/-/hw/

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat May 22 21:25:23 UTC 2004

Geoff,

Nothing informal about it. I am a native speaker of wh-, and I cannot
utter exclamatory 'why' with wh-. Now you have elicited data (albeit
reported) from an native respondent.

Why is this? (By the way, plenty of wh-ers agree with me; well, maybe
not plenty, we are fading fast.) Could it be the date? Apparently
not; the first OED exclamatory use is cited from the early 16th C.,
well before the loss, even in the south of England.

A puzzle.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston