Rabbits' Ears, Lost Eggs, Windbags (1955); Eel of Fortune

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 23 02:56:01 UTC 2004

RABBITS' EARS, LOST EGGS, WINDBAGS

   A further search of "Black Forest Cake" turned up nothing in LUCHOW'S GERMAN COOKBOOK (1952) by Leonard Mitchell.
   Louis Untermeyer's BLUE RHINE, BLACK FOREST (1930) is a fabulous book, and it has a large lexicon on German food names at the end.  Again, I didn't see "Black Forest Cake" in a place where it should have been.  I didn't have time to copy this book and mistakenly thought Untermeyer's book would be at NYU.  I'll post it soon enough.
   "Black Forest Cake" isn't in the following, book, either, but here are a few items (with Google hits).

GERMAN COOKERY
by Elizabeth Schuler
originally published in German as _Mein Kochbuch_
edited and translated by Joy Gary
New York: Crown Publishers, Inc.
1955

Pg. 3:  "Lost" Eggs (Verlorene, Pochierte, Eier)
(GOOGLE)
Recipe: Lost Eggs (Verlorene, Pochierte, Eier)
Lost Eggs (Verlorene, Pochierte, Eier). Servings, Calories, % from Fat, Fat, Sodium,
Carbohydrates, Protein, Cholesterol. 4, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A. INGREDIENTS: ...
www.recipehound.com/Recipes/1495.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Pg. 177:  Rabbits' Ears (Hasenohren)
(GOOGLE)
Recipe: Rabbits' Ears (Hasenohren)
Rabbits' Ears (Hasenohren). German Cookery/Elizabeth Schuler 1985
Servings, Preparation Time, Cooking Time, Calories, % from Fat, Fat, ...
www.recipehound.com/Recipes/Recipes2/6587.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Pg. 189:  Windbags (Cream Puffs) (Windbeutel)

Pg. 195:  Urchins (Spitzbuben)
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
RECIPE: Spitzbuben (Urchins)
... Mary * Exported from MasterCook * Spitzbuben (Urchins) Recipe By : The Art of German
Cooking Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Cookies ...
rec.food.cooking - Nov 14, 1997 by cookielover at ridgecrest.ca.us - View Thread (1 article)

EEL OF FORTUNE

   Today is the last day for the French restaurant La Caravelle, joining Lutece, Lespinasse, and La Cote Basque to bite the dust in NYC.
   I've never eaten at any of them--just too expensive, and I make no money.  I joked to friends that I'd finally go to the French restaurant "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" sale, but none of these New York City restaurants had one.
   Here's the menu item of the day, from FAAN (Asian Fusion), 404 6th Avenue, New York, www.faanonline.com:

Special Rolls:
EEL OF FORTUNE--Crabmeat, avocado, cucumber, lettuce and tomato topped with toasted eel  $15.95