Coup de grâce

Sean Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Mon May 24 03:37:11 UTC 2004

<<a feeling that final consonants should not be pronounced in any word which they are conscious is French. >>

What?! What?!  They aren't??

When Grace Kelly married the Prince of Monaco, Life (or perhaps Time) magazine had a story about the trials of the transition from Philadelphia-Hollywood princess to Monegasque princess.  One of them was that her name, "Grace", as pronounced in French, sounded like the French word for fat (Life did not say what the French word for fat is, no doubt assuming that its readers would know.)

I reported this to my friends, and those of us with a connection to the Chesapeake Bay began calling Havre de Grace, MD, "Harvey the Fat".

Seán Fitzpatrick
Stupidity should be painful
http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/