"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" (1847)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 24 14:43:33 UTC 2004

HOPE FOR THE BEST--131,000  Google hits, 81,600 Google Groups hits
HOPE FOR THE BEST + THE WORST--31,800 Google hits, 18,900 Google Groups hits
HOPE FOR THE BEST + PREPARE FOR THE WORST--5,950 Google hits, 3,480 Google
Groups hits
HOPE FOR THE BEST + PLAN FOR THE WORST--3,750 Google hits, 1,000 Google
Groups hits
HOPE FOR THE BEST + EXPECT THE WORST--3,310 Google hits, 1,780 Google Groups
hits

   New York City Emergency Workers have a saying: "Hope for the best; prepare
for the worst."
--NEW YORK SUN, 24 May 2004, "Are We Ready?" J. P. Avlon analyzes the new
Citywide Incident Management System, pg. 11, col. 2.

    The philosophy of NYC emergency management is based on a song in a Mel
Brooks movie (THE TWELVE CHAIRS)?  At least it wasn't "Springtime for Hitler."
    This goes back to the 1800s, at least.  I'm away from Literature Online.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Huron Reflector - 11/2/1847
...riot conquered." Let us HOPE FOR THE BEST e WORST can but come." Excesses
in.....1 had taken eight boxes. satisfied.1 I HOPE io be able to leave ihis
place by..
Norwalk, Ohio Tuesday, November 02, 1847  989 k

Daily News - 1/7/1886
...THE face, and, while we HOPE FOR THE BEST, prepare FOR THE WORST.
ADVERTISERS.....well as any of THE ladies What is THE BEST hour to make a social call
is..
Frederick, Maryland Thursday, January 07, 1886  701 k

Stevens Point Journal - 8/25/1900
...go prepared FOR THE -WORST aud HOPE FOR THE BEST. If a officer.....a
positive, but in u negative way. THE BEST that could be said was that THEy..
Stevens Point, Wisconsin Saturday, August 25, 1900  893 k

Fort Wayne News - 2/11/1916
...GO WHERE DUTY CALLS'. HOPE FOR THE BEST, PEflR, BUT LOOK FOR. THE WORST.
Q.....sake of THE Indiana national guard we HOPE Colonel Louden and General
Bridges..
Fort Wayne, Indiana Friday, February 11, 1916  793 k

Trenton Evening Times - 2/7/1917
...as a .writer .-under -tho HOPE FOR THE BEST, PREPARE FOR THE WORST THE
.....now on a j war footing; but THE'. next BEST tli' ami -perhaps after thing-,
was..
Trenton, New Jersey   Wednesday, February 07, 1917  961 k

Nevada State Journal - 5/19/1939
...To Avoid Disappointment, HOPE FOR THE BEST, Get Ready FOR THE WORST, And
Take.....thinking and (2) THE office's very BEST weaTHEr prophet (Name on
request..
Reno, Nevada Friday, May 19, 1939  627 k

Nevada State Journal - 8/1/1939
...That It Costs No More To HOPE FOR THE BEST Than It Does To Fear THE WORST
.....police he had entered THE home in THE HOPE of seeing THE star. He said he
had..
Reno, Nevada Tuesday, August 01, 1939  616 k

Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune - 1/20/1942
...Watertown Times. EXPECT THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST A college dean who
has.....THEn, FOR a change, he'd talk Reno. I HOPE he went. Now he's
threatening to..
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Tuesday, January 20, 1942  776 k

Lethbridge Herald - 3/9/1946
...covering of trash. We all HOPE FOR THE BEST In 1946 but if we expect THE
WORST.....and introduction one can at least HOPE that we will some day venture
a few..
Lethbridge, Alberta Saturday, March 09, 1946  821 k

Lima News - 9/29/1957
...by And when it comes, you HOPE FOR THE BEST but ex pect THE WORST. That
was THE.....goes up anoTHEr billion dollars. THE WORST may be over FOR this
.year, THE..
Lima, Ohio Sunday, September 29, 1957  928 k

Times Recorder - 11/19/1967
...Pentagon's policy is to HOPE FOR THE BEST and prepare FOR THE WORST
Ex.....overshadows THE good news, despite THE BEST efFORts of THE journalism..
Zanesville, Ohio Sunday, November 19, 1967  666 k

(WRIGHT AMERICAN FICTION)
Arthur, T. S. (1809-1885): The Ways of Providence, or "He Doeth All Things
Well" (1851) 1 match in 1 of 215 pages
BAD LUCK.
Pierson, speaking in a voice of encouragement. "It may not turn out so badly
as you fear." / "Hope for the best and get the worst! Humph! that has been,
thus far, my experience in life." /

Print Source:   Home scenes
Weston, Amanda.
Syracuse : L.C. Matlack, 1853.
Pg. 137:
"We will hope for the best, and prepare for the worst."

Belmont, Cara.: The City Side, or, Passages from a Pastor's Portfolio (1854)
1 match in 1 of 298 pages
CHAPTER X.
of my poor child. The doctor says he is unable to foretell the result: we
fear the worst, while we hope for the best. A visit from our ever kind friend and
adviser would be welcome now.

Adams, John Turvill (1805-1882): The Lost Hunter (1856) 1 match in 1 of 466
pages
CHAPTER XLII.
he said. "He must have a run of fever, and what the result may be, no mortal
man can divine. Let us hope for the best, while prepared for the worst." /
Faith, from the moment she was permitted, w

(GOOGLE GROUPS)