Hypercorrection of /w/-/hw/

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Mon May 24 20:10:33 UTC 2004

Win would  "whether"  "weather", "which"  "witch",
"where"  "wear", etc. ever  be ambiguous?  They aren't even the same parts of speech?  (if they ever would be, why not 'would' wood"?)
Fritz

It's also used by some (e.g. me) ONLY as a second-order disambiguator
for distinguishing "whether" from "weather", "which" from "witch",
"where" from "wear", "whales" from "wails/Wales", and maybe a couple
of other similar cases involving minimal contrasts (not the ones
above, though, since their vowels differ in these parts).  The
relevant frames are "Did you say/mean "wh..." or "w..."? or "I said
"w...", not "wh..."

larry