Pandowdy (1843); Egg Bound (1865); Eton Mess (1922)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 24 21:14:22 UTC 2004

WITH ALL DELIBERATE SPEED (continued)

   It's curious that the legal phrase does NOT appear in Proceedings of the Old Bailey (online, up to 1799).

PANDOWDY

   I was asked (by some OED-type person) about "pandowdy."  DARE has 1830?  I'll try to beat that in two weeks with EARLY AMERICAN NEWSPAPERS.  FWIW, here are some citations.

(ACCESSIBLE ARCHIVES)
ITEM #5232
October, 1843
THE LADY'S BOOK
Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Volume XXVII Page 182
(...)
"Yes, yes, Miss Eunice - I understand" - said Charty - "and I'll do my best to give them good wictuals. It will be all right to show off a little, and let them see what fine living we have here. All the better, of course, for the cook being brung up in Phildelphy. I an't sure I won't give them coker-nut puddings, and lemon ones too, for, poor old things, (that I should live to say such a word!) I have a notion that where they live they have not nothing better for a desart than punkin-pies and << pan-dowdies>> ."

(ACCESSIBLE ARCHIVES)
ITEM #79171
July 29, 1858
THE NATIONAL ERA
Washington, D.C., Vol. XII No. 604 P. 117
(...)
“To the Rocky Mountains?”
“And further too, perhaps. Bear's meat is good for the vapors. You remember the queer, quaint old fellow I brought in to dinner a fort-night ago - Mr. Grubb, the Indian antiquary?”
“Quite well.”
“Part of his object in coming back to civilization, besides his natural desire to taste what he calls his 'native Indian pudding and << pan-dowdy>> ' once more before he died, was to get some lawyer to go out there with him, to look up the claims of some of his favorite Gray Buffalo Indians to some hunting-grounds of theirs, which he says a cheating land-company are trying to oozen them out of, at Washington.

EGG-BOUND

  "Ten ounces of caviar is a lot for one person," Pipes admits, "so I figure it's a terrific dish for three or four people to share."  Which would put the damage at about $250 for a few bites.  And that's just as well, since eggs notoriously cause a kind of constipation that the British quaintly call "egg bound."
--"Bling breakfast: Choking on the richest meal in New York," VILLAGE VOICE, May 19-25, 2004, pg. 40, col. 3.

   I don't want to say this is an expensive neighborhood, but they're charging $1,000 for a breakfast dish over here.
   OED has the 1882 for "egg bound," but not the slang sense.

(TIMES OF LONDON)
The Times, Thursday, Aug 31, 1939; pg. 9; Issue 48398; col E
   Europe, big with her own momentous destinies, is--if it is not irreverent to say--egg-bound.

The Times, Thursday, Jan 22, 1959; pg. 4; Issue 54365; col D
     House Of Commons
    The best thing that the Minister could do would be to hand over this part of British transport to the Egg Marketing Board, for if that body continued their present advertising campaign much longer everyone would be egg-bound instead of fog-bound on British Railways.  (Laughter.)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Elyria Constitution - 7/29/1875
...wns a few ago killed, having become EGG-BOUND. In tho body wore lound no.....a little salt, butler tlio nine of an EGG, ono teaspoon fid ol soda, or three..
Elyria, Ohio   Thursday, July 29, 1875  1304 k

(ACCESSIBLE ARCHIVES)
ITEM #99
February, 1876
Godey's Lady's Book
Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Vol XCII page 185
(...)
Excessive perspiration, from a warm season, confined locality, or sitting too closely on the nest. The feathers are ruffled and damp, and the bird feeble. Wash with salt and water for several mornings, or sprinkle a few drops of sherry over the bird, and put it in the sun to dry.
<< Egg-bound>> , from cold. Give the bird a little moist sugar, or anoint the abdomen with warm sweet oil; if these fail, give a drop of castor-oil.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
Inquiries and Answers.
The Genesee Farmer (1845-1865). Rochester: Apr 1865. Vol. 26, Iss. 4; p. 129 (1 page):
   EGG BOUND.--Will C. N. Bement, or some other of your correspondents, gave us the reason or cause of hens getting "egg bound," as it is called.  I had a young pullet the other day that could not discharge her egg.  It was of ordinary size, and hung to her in a bag that enclosed it.  Upon examination, I found a small hole in the bag at the end of the egg, and the egg being pushed in that direction came out without any trouble.  It afterwards took two days' watching and washing, and returning the bag inwards, (as it kept coming out every hour or so,) and now she seems to do well and to all appearances is all right.  Ssme say she will die.  Is it so?  What is the remedy for a hen in this case?--J. T.

ETON MESS

ETON MESS--777 Google hits, 31 Google Groups hits

  From AM NEW YORK, 20 May 2004, pg. 20, col. 1:
_A REAL MESS_
   This English boarding school dish of smashed meringues, strawberries and cream is called an "Eton mess."  The meringues dissolve, becoming suspended in the cream, where they act as a subtle sweetener, gently accenting the berry.
(Recipe follows--ed.)

   OED has an entry for "Eton."  It's the Oxford English Dictionary, after all.
   "Eton Mess" is...well, it's a food term...an _English_ food term...and it's not there.

(TIMES OF LONDON)
The Times, Saturday, Jun 17, 1922; pg. 9; Issue 43060; col F
     The Woman's View. Strawberry Dishes. (FROM A CORRESPONDENT.).
   A very different dish is a strawberry souffle, served with an iced sauce, and it makes a welcome change from the countless varieties of compote and derivatives of the famous ETON MESS.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
English Fare Boring? Well, Not Desserts
By MOIRA HODGSON. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 8, 1990. p. CN14 (1 page)