origin of "wuss" or "wussie" ??

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue May 25 04:20:59 UTC 2004

>"When we try to talk too fancy like, it don't come out so good.  But in
>plain old Pennsylvania Dutch, things sound just like they should." /
>''Chakie is such a little wutzie."(picture of a Pa-Dutch kid who appears
>to be a 'goody-goody'/ Sarah's spritzin' the grass."(picture of a
>Pa-Dutch-clothed girl watering the grass/ "When the little red house
>comes, the train is all."(two Pa-Dutch kids watching a train go
>by(caboose=red house?)/ "Chrissley's tooth ouches him."Pa-Dutch kid with
>bandage wrapped around his head, containing bad tooth.)

"The train is all" means "the train has gone by" or "that's the end of the
train", I believe. Folks around here (Pittsburgh) use this "all"
occasionally (self-consciously, I think, or as a joke sometimes), usually
for food, like "the beer is all" = "the beer is all gone".

Guessing from ignorance, I'd say "Wutzie" looks like it should mean
"piggy", if it's from German. You can find a few instances by Googling
<<Wutzi piglet>> for example. I think this "Wutz" is southern German maybe.
Is your Chakie fat?

Still I can't say a connection of this "wutzie" with "wuss" seems impossible.

-- Doug Wilson