Hypercorrection of /w/-/hw/

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Tue May 25 19:58:44 UTC 2004

Come to think of it, my dad said "ho" to his big Belgian draft horses on
our Minnesota farm.  I never thought of that until now, since I always said
"wo" (yes, I drove those beasts occasionally too).  I wonder if there could
have been a transmission of "ho" from the immigrant English of my
grandfather? Or was it a common pronunciation among all before
print-oriented folk reinterpreted 'wh' as /w/?  My colleague from Missouri
just noted that he also says "wo" but his father and grandfather (of old
Anglo-American stock) said "ho."

I just checked my old New World Dictionary of the American Language (ha--it
prescribes /hw/ for all 'wh' words, including white and whittle and
whopper, though not of course who and whole).  Interestingly, it says "whoa
(hwo), interj. [for 'ho', interj.] = stop!"  So it allows two options, but
no [wo].  But under "ho" it lists the usual "Westward ho!" exclamation but
also lists (as from ME and OFr) "whoa! stop! halt!"  So presumably an
alternate spelling was sometimes used, and perhaps this led to a conflation
of "whoa" and "ho" to produce [ho].  Anyone check the OED?