Coup de grace

Thu May 27 13:02:37 UTC 2004

Ever since this thread started, I've had in the back
of my mind that there was another hypercorrection of
French I frequently hear, but I couldn't think what it
was.  Last night it came to me when I drove past the
Villa Franche apartments just down the street from my
house ... almost everyone who speaks of these
apartments pronounces "Franche" with an acute accent
on the "e", and no, there is no accent over the "e"
where the name is displayed on the property.  No other
examples of this type of hypercorrection come to mind
readily, and this may be a very localized usage.

=====