Coup de grace

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu May 27 15:26:45 UTC 2004

When my wife and I went to a small appliance service store in Dayton, Ohio,
about 20 years ago to get a new carafe for our coffee maker, the woman who
waited on us said, pleasantly surprised, "Well, nice to hear you pronounce
it correctly!  Most people call it a 'carafay.'"  It caught on as one of
those family jokes, and we've called it a "carafay" ever since.

Peter Mc.

--On Thursday, May 27, 2004 6:02 AM -0700 James Smith