General linguistic terminology (bound morph(eme))

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu May 27 14:43:30 UTC 2004

FWIW, the house policy here is to refer collectively to suffixes,
prefixes, infixes, and pieces of words that can't stand alone (and
that usually are shown in the dictionary with hyphens appended) as
"bound forms."  I can't think of an example of a "root" such as
"gruntle" or "emptive" being called something other than a back-
formation (as Larry suggested).

Joanne M. Despres, Senior Editor
Merriam-Webster, Inc.
jdespres at

More information about the Ads-l mailing list