Preakness

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri May 28 19:08:58 UTC 2004

At 11:38 AM -0700 5/28/04, Peter A. McGraw wrote:
>I've never heard a local pronounce it, so the media are my only source, but
>the only pronunciation I recall ever hearing is [prikn at s].
>
>Peter Mc.

Me too.  It may be worth mentioning that the Preakness is run at
Pimlico, in Maryland, and thus has no obvious connection with the New
Jersey town, which for all I know is still pronounced as in "break".
But if so, perhaps the "squeak" pronunciation of the former has
influenced the pronunciation of the latter.

Larry