Faux Pork, Fakin' Bacon, Pseudo-Sausage, Mock Meat, Synthetic Soup

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 30 00:07:16 UTC 2004

FAUX PORK--37 Google hits, 13 Google Groups hits
FAKIN BACON--529 Google hits, 181 Google Groups hits
PSEUDO SAUSAGE--29 Google hits, 27 Google Groups hits
PSEUDO SAUSAGES--21 Google hits, 2 Google Groups hits
PSEUDO SAUERKRAUT--0 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits
MOCK MEAT--889 Google hits, 331 Google Groups hits
SYNTHETIC SOUP--36 Google hits, 2 Google Groups hits

   From THE BLUEPRINT ("The Source for Everything and Anything Jewish in Manhattan"), May 2004, pg. 12, col. 4:

_FAUX PORK_
BY NATALIA SLOAM
(...)
   The most recent product available to the kosher consumer is "Faux Pork"--a meatless, soy-based provision that just so happens to be a healthy alternative, too.
(Col. 5--ed.)
   The mock meat is the latest in the range from Lightlife foods that also includes "Smart Bacon and Country Ham."  Says spokeswoman Joan Rivers, "This year, you can put some pork on your fork, and it's kosher!  I'm not talking about eating a dead pig--I'm talking about fakin' bacon, pseudo-sausage, pig-less pork chops.  Besides, eating kosher faux pork lets you pig out without porking up."  Visit www.lightlife.com for more information.

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark FAKIN' BACON
Goods and Services IC 029. US 046. G & S: vegetable protein food product in the nature of a bacon alternative. FIRST USE: 19840930. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19840930
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 74077628
Filing Date July 12, 1990
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition March 26, 1991
Registration Number 1648265
Registration Date June 18, 1991
Owner (REGISTRANT) Lightlife Foods, Inc. CORPORATION MASSACHUSETTS 153 INDUSTRIAL BLVD. TURNERS FALLS MASSACHUSETTS 01376
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "BACON" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20010308.
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20010308
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE) ("mock meat")
Washington Post - 8/13/1919
...which can be baked, fried, made into MOCK MEAT loaf and served hot or cold.....by the Press Publishing Co.) PALATABLE MEAT SUBSTITUTES Most housewives are..
Washington, District Of Columbia   Wednesday, August 13, 1919  898 k

Denton Journal - 3/12/1927
...are added to foods such ns salads, MOCK MEAT loaves and other dishes.....his ration I don't." "Black bread, MEAT, salt, beer, barley and sauerkraut..
Denton, Maryland   Saturday, March 12, 1927  683 k

Clearfield Progress - 2/18/1938
...on synthetic soup, pseudo-sauerkraut, MOCK MEAT, counterfeit butter.....subsides, fliers planned to drop fresh MEAT, cigarettes, matches and pencils to..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania   Friday, February 18, 1938  658 k

Portsmouth Herald - 7/13/1942
...ve been. living on synthetic soup, MOCK MEAT, counterfeit butter.....lady in the left hand picture above. MEAT grease can be made into..
Portsmouth, New Hampshire   Monday, July 13, 1942  927 k

Clearfield Progress - 7/13/1942
...on synthetic soup, pseudo-sauerkraut, MOCK MEAT, counterfeit butter, arti-j.....PORK LIVER Serve for Health Ib. 19c MOCK CHICKEN LEGS Freshly Made 5 for..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania   Monday, July 13, 1942  614 k

Nevada State Journal - 6/19/1947
...down, ami where is her recipe for MOCK MEAT; loaf mostly mndo of oatmeal.....so Othman Bares Sharp Teeth As MEAT Cost Up By FREDERICK C. OTHMAN..
Reno, Nevada   Thursday, June 19, 1947  763 k

Herald Press - 9/3/1952
...MOCK hamburgers deluxe and other MOCK MEAT dishes. The MOCK MEAT is a.....is MOCK turkey. B. is made of the same MOCK MEAT, molded by Mrs. Hornbeck in..
Saint Joseph, Michigan   Wednesday, September 03, 1952  731 k

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM) ("syntethic soup")
Gettysburg Times - 1/24/1917
...Holland, .lupuu and Australia. A SYNTHETIC SOUP. Some one attempted to..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania   Wednesday, January 24, 1917  731 k

Mansfield News - 1/30/1917
...M. social circles of the nation. A SYNTHETIC SOUP. CREAM FOR CATARRH.....aettle nice questions of ett1 called SYNTHETIC meat, Is Jess than that gaette..
Mansfield, Ohio   Tuesday, January 30, 1917  927 k

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("synthetic soup")
   TRY THIS ON YOUR NEXT MENU.; "Synthetic Soup" Eliminates Meat From the First Dinner Course.
>From the Cleveland Plain Dealer.. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jan 9, 1917. p. 6 (1 page)

   PRESS COMMENT.
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Feb 10, 1928. p. 6 (1 page):
      _Synthetic Soup._
   Ohio State Journal:  THe time may come, says that eminent scientist, Prof. Firman E. Bear, of our great State University, when synthetic soups and sandwiches and other means of sustenance will be taken right out of the air we breathe, and what we hope is that by that time the smoke consumption problem will have been solved, though we doubt it.

   The Washington Merry-Go-Round
By Drew Pearson. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jun 28, 1945. p. B7 (1 page)  :
   Civilian consumers will benefit in the postwar period from a number of wartime discoveries by Army chemists and researchers.  Not only will they have synthetic soups and self-heating cocoa to use on camping trips but they will find that they can purchase such things as shrink-proof woolen socks.

   Screen: 'Two People,' or 8 Hours to Kill in Paris; Peter Fonda Is Cast as Returning Deserter The Cast Film by Robert Wise Opens at Baronet
By ROGER GREENSPUN. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 19, 1973. p. 46 (1 page):
   But "Two People" is remarkably of a piece--not with the consistency ofa movie director like Robert Wise, but rather with the consistency of something cooked up from the same package of synthetic soup.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("faux pork")
   Hong Kong's Temple Of Nourishment; Taoists offer a vegetarian lunch as well as prayers
By EILEEN YIN-FEI LO. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Aug 10, 1986. p. XX19 (2 pages)
Second page (Pg. 31):  The artifice in the faux pork, fish and oysters was high art.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES) ("mock meat")
Article 2 -- No Title
The Ladies' Home Journal (1889-1907). Philadelphia: Apr 1903. Vol. Vol. XX,, Iss. No. 5; p. 36 (1 page):
Mock Meat Pie (nuts), Cream Sauce

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("mock meat")
PALATABLE MEAT SUBSTITUTES
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Aug 13, 1919. p. 8 (1 page):
   With the addition of vegetables and nuts, there is even greater scope, for there are many combinations of proteid vegetables, like beans, peas and the nuts, which can be baked, fried, made into mock meat loaf and served hot or cold with rich sauces or cold dressings.

Tea Room Luncheon for Twenty Five Persons; Mock Meat Loaf Celeray Gravy or Sauce Braised Beef Carrot Salad Gingerbread
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Feb 26, 1929. p. 11 (1 page)

(FACTIVA) ("pseudo sausage")
1.  FAILING TO FIND ANYTHING FUNNY
The Columbus Dispatch, 21 March 2004, 1092 words, Compiled by Mark Naegele, (English)

2.  STRAIGHT AIDS MYTH SHATTERED
New York Post, 19 March 2004, 1912 words, (English)

3.  The thin end of the veg - Cover story.
The Times, 2 June 2003, 2383 words, By Richard Morrison., (English)

4.  When In Rome Or Paris, Vienna, Dublin Or London
Sun Herald , 28 March 1999, 1562 words, Marc Llewellyn, (English)

5.  etc. Reach for a peach Dieting on vacation College cooking Quote of the week
Peoria Journal Star , 31 July 1996, 374 words, (English)

6.  Cooks Request Additional Depression-Era Recipes
Tulsa World , 3 March 1993, 1624 words, Ellen Averill, (English)
LIVING
READER EXCHANGE
Cooks Request Additional Depression-Era Recipes
Ellen Averill
1,624 words
Tulsa World
FINAL HOME EDITION
C1
English
(Copyright 1993)

Tulsa Public Schools employee Dlma Neal located a Depression recipe requested several months ago _ sausage made from black-eyed peas.

She got the recipe from her mother-in-law Flossie Neal, of Sallisaw. This pseudo-sausage originally called for whipper will peas. According to notes on the recipe, to prepare the peas you should "catch a windy day," put the peas on a sheet, and "beat, beat, beat them" and let the wind blow out all of the hulls.

(FACTIVA) ("faux pork")
1.  Crumbs
Austin American-Statesman, 28 May 2003, 469 words, Kitty Crider, AMERICAN-ST..., (English)

2.  Veggie good.
BusinessWorld, 1 May 2003, 484 words, By Raoul J. Chee Kee., (English)

3.  BARGAIN BITES / Good and cheap / The best dining values in the Bay Area
The San Francisco Chronicle , 21 October 2001, 7057 words, Chronicle Food Staff, (English)

4.  Portland, Ore.-Based Gardenburger CEO Wants to Refine Marketing Strategy
KRTBN Knight-Ridder Tribune Business News: The Seattle Times - Washington , 1 July 2001, 1363 words, Drew DeSilver, (English)

5.  Flipping focus of Gardenburger New CEO wants to refine marketing strategy, boost its revenue
The Seattle Times, 1 July 2001, 1466 words, Drew DeSilver, (English)

6.  No Meat, No Problem At Artful Ambrosia Garden
The San Francisco Chronicle , 11 August 2000, 566 words, Robin Davis, Chronicle St..., (English)

7.  Top Frozen Potsticker Comes From Trader Joe's
The San Francisco Chronicle , 12 May 1999, 440 words, Robin Davis, (English)

8.  VEGETARIAN? YOU BET! // REVIEW: Lotus Cafe in Orange offers unique twist on Chinese food: something to sink your into.
The Orange County Register , 23 May 1997, 1045 words, ELIZABETH EVANS:The Orang..., (English)

9.  Dragon brings `authentic' Bay area Chinese cuisine to Las Vegas
The Las Vegas Review-Journal , 19 August 1994, 777 words, Michael Paskevich, (English)

10.  Cheap eats
Advertising Age , 15 November 1993, 404 words, (English)
Cheap eats
404 words
Advertising Age
English
(Copyright 1993 Crain Communications Inc.)

Cheap eats

Contest ns out that Hormel Foods Corp., the proud maker of Spam luncheon meat, was none too happy with the Oct. 25 TNT column, which not only referred to the product in a disparaging way but also employed the word Spam in an improper fashion.

Spam, according to Hormel, is an adjective that should only be used before the noun "meat." We stand corrected.

However, Hormel, perhaps you should have chosen a more marketable name for a clammy can of faux pork. If you want to make a change, we can help. TNTers: come up with the next name for Spam luncheon meat.