Pie a la mode (1895); Fudge (1895); Red hot (1893)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 31 00:10:13 UTC 2004

PIE A LA MODE

   The 1895 Newspaperarchive citation below has been pointed out by Sam
Clements.  See the newly found 1895 Chicago Tribune "pie a la mode," which clearly
states that the thing is "pie" and "ice cream."  Is the origination story (see
ADS-L archives) false?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Newark Daily Advocate - 6/9/1895
...the window which reAd this wAy: PIE A LA MODE, 10 Cents. A AVAy of His
Own. A.....mush And milk, bAked beAns And custArd PIE. Those, PAnsy, Are the
delicAtessen..
Newark, Ohio Sunday, June 09, 1895  887 k

Evening Democrat - 6/12/1895
...wAy: FULL Ol1 TRICKS. HERSELF. PIE A LA MODE, 10 Cents. PAddy looked up
the.....proofs free. EurekA ChemicAl'ilM'f'g LA Crosse. WiA. Office of THE
P1ONJSKR 1..
Warren, Pennsylvania Wednesday, June 12, 1895  1079 k

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
A MATTER OF CONSCIENCE.
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Aug 4, 1895. p. 34 (1
page):
   He's got a glass of beer and a great big piece of pie with a chunk of ice
cream on top of it.  Pie a la mode, I believe they call it.

Display Ad 24 -- No Title
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: May 3, 1896. p. 51 (1 page)
:
Pie a la Mode...5c

FUDGE

   FWIW:  Two 1890s "fudge" citations from the Chicago Tribune, both again
pointing us to Vassar.  See my ADS-L post from the Vassar library (in the
archives).

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
BIDS FAREWELL TO THE SWEET FUDGES; Sad Feature in the Last Year of College
Life for the Fair "Co-Ed."
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: May 12, 1895. p. 5 (1
page):
   For the information of those who are not up on what may be called one of
the practical phases of the college curriculum it may be stated that "fudge" is
the popular name for chocolates as they are made at Vassar.  The recipe,
tradition says, emanated from that famous seat of learning.  Its origin is one of
the mysteries of confectionery science, but all who have ever tasted fudges
acknowledge that they are the most delicious form of that most popular of all
confections, the chocolate caramel.  The knack of making them has been handed
down at Vassar from year to year from old students to the new, and hence
transmitted to various seats of learning for women throughout the country.

Girl Life at Chicago University.
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Oct 6, 1895. p. 40 (1 page)
:
   "But what are fudges?"
   "Well, the recipe for them was brought to the university by a Vassar girl,
and they are a little like chocolate, and yet they aren't; and a little like
caramels, but not quite; and perhaps they are a little like nougat.  I cook
them over the gas; see, here is a little afait that fits over the gas jet and
holds a tin saucepan, and by standing on a chair I can stir the fudges, and when
they are cool we cut them unto squares and eat them."

RED HOT

   I expect that there will be a Chicago Tribune "red hot" ("hot dog")
citation in the 1880s.  Here is one from 1893.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
NIGHT ON THE MID WAY PLAISANCE.; Though but Partially Illuminated the Strange
Street Is Crowded with Visitors.
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: May 14, 1893. p. 1 (1 page)
:
   ...and in the cafe, where North Side "red hots" and genuine Chicago pie
were sold, as genuine Turkish viands.  A man eating a red-hot in the shadow of
an obelisk is worthy of any World's Fair,...