"Whole nine yards" : some negative evidence [addendum]

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Nov 1 04:00:46 UTC 2004

Don't forget that, during WWII, the Air Force was part of the Army,
first, as the "U.S. Army Air Corps," later, as the "U.S. Army Air
Force." The Air Force didn't become a separate branch of service till
after the war. As a consequence, we could logically expect that zoomie
slang would leak into other Army units, especially given that the Army,
like the Air Force, also uses various calibers of belted ammo. "The
whole nine yards" was not G.I. slang when I was in the Army. This
brings up another problem, that of uniformity.

If all ammo meant for use in belts was meted out so that every round
would fit into a standard ammo belt of a uniform length of nine yards,
then the number of rounds in each such belt would vary according to the
caliber of the ammo that it held. That's not S.O.P.

Then there's the problem of logistics. I was the ammunition-bearer for
a machine-gun crew. As such, I can testify that it would take Superman
to carry with one hand a single ammo cannister containing nine yards of
steel belting filled with many pounds of lead-and-brass cartridges,
each in turn filled with gunpowder. An ammo-bearer is expected to carry
at least two cans of ammo for the machine gun. And that would be in
addition to the 300 rounds of unbelted rifle ammo for his own use, his
full field pack, grenades, etc. It just couldn't be done, if there was
a standard length for an ammo belt of nine yards.

Finally, my own introduction to "the whole nine yards" was the Burt
Reynolds movie of that name. I had uncles and cousins who served in
WWII, some in the Air Corps, friends who served during the Korean-War
era and there was my own service during the Vietnam-War era. No one
that I know even today uses that phrase and, until this discussion came
up, I'd always assumed that it had something to do with football and
was to be heard only on sports talk shows.

-Wilson Gray