"good to go"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 1 16:12:06 UTC 2004

I first heard this during TV coverage of Operation Desert Shield in late 1990.  It's become very common on TV and in real life.

Seems to be a blend of "We're good" (recent colloq. for "we're fine") and "We're ready to go."

JL

"Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mullins, Bill"
Subject: "good to go"

I first heard this phrase 10-15 years ago from active-duty military that I
work with. Since then I've seen it a few times in civilian / general
usage. It shows up here:
http://www.dailycardinal.com/news/787868.html?mkey=1483175
(the Nov 1 2004 of the comic strip "Everybody Drunk but Me").

I don't find it in the OED. If you are "good to go", you are prepared, you
have done everything you need to do to go to the next step.