terminology question

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Nov 2 11:52:44 UTC 2004

Jesse,

Must "code-switching" be deliberate? When my Wisconsin wife listens
to me as we drive South, she says I get hillbillier and hillbiller,
but I do this un(in?)deliberately.

I don't think this is a common requirement for code-switching. The
major distinction in the literature has been between 'situational'
versus 'metaphoric.'

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu