Boojies (was CP Time)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Nov 5 14:44:36 UTC 2004

On Nov 5, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Grant Barrett wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: Boojies (was CP Time)
> --------
>
> Boojies/boogies/bougies (the latter the more common spelling in my
> experience) is still used enough that just last week I saw it
> graffitied across an advertisement on the Brooklyn-bound side of the
> First or Third Avenue stop of the L train in Manhattan.
>
> Grant Barrett

But "boogie" is pronounced the same as the "boogie" in "boogie-woogie"
and is not class-specific. For example, a white character in the
groundbreaking 1950 movie, "No Way Out," says something like, "I saw a
boogie driving a Cadillac a block long!" as the whites of Beaver Canal
are firing themselves up to riot against the blacks of Niggertown.

-Wilson Gray