Burgoo

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Nov 5 20:50:46 UTC 2004

Julia,

Hardly the same hamlet! It is the state dish. A stew y'all would call
it, I reckon. See the recipe on p. 167 of The United State Regional
Cookbook, ed. by Ruth Berolzheimer. Chicago: Culinary Arts Institute,
1939. Here is the list of ingredients:

600 lbs lean soup meat
200 lbs fat hens
2000 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
5 bushels cabbage, chopped
200 lbs onions
60 #10 cans tomatoes
24 #10 cans puree of tomatoes
24 #10 cans of carrots
18 #10 cans of corn
Red pepper and salt to taste
Season with Worcestershire, Tabasco, or A-1 sauce

In season, add one dozen squirrels to each 100 gallons.

The beginning of the recipe notes it will make 1200 gallons. It is
the recipe of J. T. Looney of Lexington who, we are told, is (was, I
reckon, now) Kentucky's most famous burgoo-maker. We are also warned
that this is a dish not to be attempted by an amateur. It simmers 15
to 20 hours over outdoor wood fires in big iron pots.

dInIs

PS: There is an alternative recipe on p. 168 for "small parties."

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor