CP Time

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 5 21:04:39 UTC 2004

--On Friday, November 5, 2004 3:39 PM -0500 Beverly Flanigan
<flanigan at OHIOU.EDU> wrote:

> At 03:25 PM 11/5/2004, you wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>>
>> > Our department chair, who is Mormon, instructed us recently on how we
>> > might better parcel out the hours of the day to reflect the 40-40-20
>> > evaluation of teaching, research, and service!
>>
>> And that was .... ?
>>
>> Bethany
>
> Oh gosh, I can't remember.  First we looked at him open-mouthed, then we
> smiled, then someone cracked a joke, and then we tuned him out.  (Don't
> get
> me wrong; he's a great guy.  But most of us just aren't that organized, or
> time-bound, or neat, or self-regulated.  Maybe we should be, but . . . .)

When my ex-husband taught intro computer science at a major state
university, back in the 70s, a problem arose with over-enrollment relative
to terminals in the computer lab (back when virtually no students had their
own computers). The lab was open 100 hours a week, and there were still
students who couldn't get enough computer time to finish their assignments.
One bright bulb on the faculty suggested keeping the lab open 200 hours a
week.