nookie

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Nov 5 21:44:37 UTC 2004

On Nov 5, 2004, at 10:52 AM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      nookie
> --------
>
>> BTW, do you recall the song, "Junk-Food Junkie," which had a
>> line something like, "Twice as good as an Oreo cookie, almost
>> as good as nookie"? I was shocked, shocked to hear "nookie"
>> on ordinary FM radio, with no bleeping, since I've always
>> felt that this word is obscene. I'm just old-school, I guess.
>>

> 1. Agree with your characterization of the word.
>
> 2.  Here:
> http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=%22junk+food+junkie&ei=UTF
> -8&fl=0&u=ww
> w.ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/lyrics/j/
> junk_food_junkie.txt&w=%22junk+food
> +junkie%22&d=FFB733F788&icp=1&.intl=us
>
> are the lyrics of "Junk Food Junkie", as I remember them (amazing how
> I can
> sing along in my head with a song I haven't heard in 20-odd years).
> The
> lyric you mention isn't in there, and I don't remember it from when
> the song
> was current.  Maybe a different song?  Or did you see Groce perform
> live,
> with an "extended" version?

This is the same song, no doubt. The words don't ring a bell. But I
went to AMG and played a sample and it is what I remember. This is the
best explanation that I can come up with. I actually heard it on a
campus radio station, which is really not quite the same as "ordinary"
FM. And I *think* that the relevant line was *spoken* at the end of the
song, where Warner could have easily erased it for regular release.

-Wilson Gray