"Big-Foot/Bigfoot Land"

Sun Nov 7 02:18:36 UTC 2004

ja' George A. Thompson:

This is from a strange parody of a soliloquy purportedly delivered by a
black actor at
The African Theatre:
If our heel's long, and our feet splay are found
We take a firmer grip of parent ground;
Large are our bladders -- copious are our brains;
And we can dream -- O yes! -- of Afric's plains!
St. Tammany's Magazine, # 4, December 4, 1821, p. 52.

I have no idea about the bladder notion, which I haven't encountered
elsewhere.
<<<

Guesswork time:

1. (I'm guessing about the nonASCII punctuation, which hits my screen as ~R
and ~W.)

2. (WAG on the subject matter) I'm guessing it could stem from some white
people's excuse for not providing Black people with adequate or sufficient
bathrooms or bathroom break time.

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]