snuffy smith's home identified by regional dialect

Orion Montoya gorion at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 9 16:31:06 UTC 2004

> (Question:  Am I correct that a leading zero in an ISBN means a book
> published in the United States?  This book, according to the reverse of the title
> page, was "set, printed, and bound in Great Britain").

The first number indicates the language spoken in the country of
publication -- though it happens that both 0 and 1 apply to
English-speaking countries.

The Chicago Manual of Style (14th ed., section 1.31) has a pretty good
discussion of ISBNs in general, though I have yet to find a
comprehensive list of the language codes used.  I don't want to pay 40
CHF for a PDF of ISO 2801 (the ISBN standard), which I assume will
have it.

O.