Pauline Kael quote about Nixon

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 9 17:09:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Sam Clements wrote:

> A poster over at the Straight Dope Board tonight said that Pauline Kael was
> supposed to have said
>
> "I don't know how Nixon won. No one I know voted for him."

Here's a definitive answer.  Pauline Kael spoke at the MLA conference in
1972.  The New York Times, 28 Dec. 1972, p. 33, quotes her as
follows:

"'I live in a rather special world,' Miss Kael said, continuing:  'I only
know one person who voted for Nixon.  Where they are I don't know.
They're outside my ken.  But sometimes when I'm in a theater I can feel
them.'"

Fred Shapiro