whammy antedating (was Al Capp)

Tue Nov 9 21:17:35 UTC 2004

> 1st OED cite for Whammy is 1940, from a book J. R. TUNIS Kid
> from Tomkinsville.  2nd cite is 1951, from Lil Abner. "An
> evil influence or  hex . From the 1950s, often with reference
> to the comic strip Li'l Abner (see quot. 1951), esp. in phr.
> a double whammy and varr. Hence, an intense or powerful look,
> etc.; something effective, upsetting, problematic, etc. "

Sporting News, 8/10/1939, p. 1 col 2:
"By playing only .333 ball the past week, losing four and winning two of the
games they played August 1 to August 6, includsive, the Reds lost four and a
half games from their first-place margin, causing many superstitious fans to
wonder if President Powel Crosley, Jr., and General Manager Warren Giles put
the whammy on their team by getting ready to increase the Crosley Field
seating capacity."

Is their an email address to which antedatings and other citations can be
sent to the OED?  Or is their web page the only electronic way to submit?
(I only ask because the web page is more cumbersome than an email, plus I
have a record copy of an email if I send it that way).