Imported from Brooklyn; Gerald Cohen on NPR

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 10 08:14:32 UTC 2004

Just got back. Everything's a mess in this tiny apartment. No time to
clean--more parking tickets in a few hours.

IMPORTED FROM BROOKLYN--I just bought at the local supermarket some eggplant
parmigiana from "JOHN'S GOURMET Good Food with a Twist." Don't know what the
twist is. The package has: "CHEF PREPARED  IMPORTED FROM BROOKLYN." Can they
say this? Can they even joke about this? "Imported" is a legal term about the
product, meaning that it does not come from the United States. Nothing else
about the package is jokey.

NPR yesterday:

Remembrances
Remembering Word Sleuth David Shulman

All Things Considered, November 8, 2004 · David Shulman, known as the
Sherlock Holmes of American language, dies in Brooklyn at the age of 91. He found the
origins of thousands of words for the Oxford English Dictionary, including
"The Great White Way," "Big Apple," "doozy," "hoochie-coochie," and "hot dog."
NPR's Michele Norris talks with Gerald Cohen, professor of foreign languages at
University of Missouri.

http://www.npr.org/lightningcast/index.html?audioURL=http://www.npr.org/dmg/dm
g.php?prgCode=ATC&showDate=08-Nov-2004&segNum=19&NPRMediaPref=WM&getAd=1&
ext=.asx

I answered my phone messages. Victory Memorial Hospital didn't call me back.

DAVID KAHN ("The Codebreakers").  (516) 487-7181. His answering machine says
that he's in Poland until the end of the week.

MARTY REISMAN ("The Money Player"). (212) 758-6768.  Marty said that
Shulman's obituaries failed to mention that David was a champion table tennis player,
going to the Nationals in the 1930s. Marty had no burial/legal information..