Pico de Gallo (1962)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 12 02:16:39 UTC 2004

I've discussed "pico de gallo" before, but I didn't post this citation at that time. The revised OED should add this, but I don't know what date OED currently has.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Other 55 -- No Title
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Oct 7, 1962. p. H17 (1 page):

_MY BEST RECIPE_

_Salad Relish_
_Cools Off_
_Fiery Latin_

"Following our marriage," writes Mrs. Robert Merpado of San Marino, "my Mexican husband's gentle complaints concerning the American meat-and-potato diet led to the inevitable why-don't-you go-back-to-your-mother's-cooking attitude of a wife."

"However, upon each visit to his parents' home, I gained a new appreciation for an unending list of delightful Latin dishes mingled with American variations.

"Of these, my favorite salad is this very simple one which lends zest to tamales, frijoles and any number of Mexican main dishes."

PICO DE GALLO

(Comb of the Rooster)
2 medium-size tomatoes
1 large avocado
1 medium-size cucumber, pared
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice

Dice tomatoes, avocado and cucumber; toss together lightly and refrigerate until just before serving.

At table, add garlic salt, oil and lemon juice. Mix carefully to avoid mashing. Serves 8.

Our children always come back for seconds--and we adults are not far behind!

Served icy-cold, this salad-relish provides a crunchy accent to a menu of enchiladas, sour dough rolls, and Mexican hot chocolate that is appealing to the most Anglo gourmet.

MRS. ROBERT MERCADO
1535 Rubio Dr.,
San Marino