IE root of Skt. "udaya"?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Nov 14 00:15:20 UTC 2004

>Could some Indo-Europeanist or Sanskrit scholar among us tell me what is the
>IE root of the Sanskrit word "udaya" (a going up; rising, as in
>Monier-Williams Dictionary). The shortened "Uday" is a common given name
>among Indians (cf. Uday Shankar) and maybe even other area languages, as in
>"Uday," the late Saddam's son.
>
>I would also like to know if there are cognates in English. The IE root must
>be in AHD4's Appendix. My problem is locating it!

In case no scholar replies, I will make my naive guess FWIW. I think the AH
Dictionary of IE Roots (AHDIER) is about the same as the AHD4 appendix.

"Udaya" looks like "ud-" + "aya".

"Aya" = "going" (this appears in the Apte Sanskrit dictionary on-line for
example). This presumably is from the IE root given as *ei-(1) = "to go" in
the AHDIER (p. 22), in the extended form (#4) *ya [with a-macron].

"Ud-" is presumably from IE *ud-, = "up, out" in the AHDIER (p. 94).

Each of these parts has plenty of English cognates, but I don't see an
English cognate for the combination right away. Possibly the Russian verb
"vyyti" = "go out" [perfective] is a 'full' cognate?

-- Doug Wilson