"Cut off my legs and call me shorty" (1939)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 14 01:44:31 UTC 2004

I ran across this (perhaps Fred Shapiro-worthy):

http://www.livejournal.com/users/teegerthelemur/friends
Random sayings I found on a website......

"I'm off like a bride's nightgown"
"Your ass is grass and I'm the lawn mower"
"Busier than a one legged cat tryin' to bury shit on a marble floor."
"Well cut off my legs and call me shorty!"
"Sounds like a manure salesman with a mouthful of samples."
http://www.barrypopik.com/

I've done some of these, but not all.

MANURE SALESMAN + SAMPLES--71 Google hits, 63 Google Groups hits
LEGS + CALL ME SHORTY--787 Google hits, 330 Google Groups hits

(GOOGLE GROUPS)("manure salesman")
Re: Barker and sex
... You sound like a manure salesman * * with a mouth full of samples!" -
Joel (MST3K) * ---
alt.horror - Aug 21, 1992 by Cindy Ketterling - View Thread (10 articles)

MST'ing "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"
... Robin C. Kwong ("er) "Hey, can you speak up? You sound like a manure
salesman with a mouthful of samples." --Joel, "Rocket Attack USA"
alt.tv.mst3k - Jul 8, 1992 by roberta chi-woon kwong - View Thread (4
articles)

Re: SMEG, not smegma
... You sound like a manure salesman * * with a mouth full of samples!" -
Joel (MST3K) * --- I'm ...
alt.tv.red-dwarf - Jun 16, 1992 by D N Crow - View Thread (23 articles)

Re: puma
... You sound like a manure salesman * * with a mouth full of samples!" -
Joel (MST3K) * --- By ...
alt.tv.mst3k - May 5, 1992 by Cindy Ketterling - View Thread (6 articles

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
   Mountain Democrat    Friday, April 16, 1999 Placerville, California
...The reasoning reminds me of a MANURE SALESMAN with a mouthful of the..

(GOOGLE GROUPS) ("call me shorty")
Re: That Hotel in the Keys that's underwater...You know the one. ...
Well cut off my legs, and call me shorty!!!! : Key Largo, even. I
will be less hasty abt poking fun at the idea. I have to ask... ...
alt.fishing - Mar 8, 1991 by Alan Barrow - View Thread (3 articles)

Re: Return values in pipelines
echo "Cut off mee legs an' call me shorty if it ain't wrong! Lessee:" I see
the Dutch have been trying to internationalise their error messages... ...
comp.unix.questions - Aug 24, 1990 by Richard Tobin - View Thread (5
articles)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
   Helena Independent   Friday, August 04, 1939 Helena, Montana
...bucks you ran cut off my legs and CALL ME SHORTY William Powell. back fit
work.....BfcUCVR 1M MOW WOUI.U YOU KNOW RUALJZE ME MAY THAY HOW CAM AP6HSON
WlTW ANY..
Pg. 10, col. 1 (HARRISON IN HOLLYWOOD by Paul Harrison):
Hollywood, Aug. 3.--Short takes: When the standing of the Ritz Brothers were
offered $50 each for some stunt doubling, Sam Canter, one of the three, said,
"For 50 bucks you can cut off my legs and call me Shorty!"

   Reno Evening Gazette     Saturday, June 22, 1940 Reno, Nevada
...endorsing "Cut Off My Heels and CALL ME SHORTY." cases, the songs
the.....human being among all the millions who CALL this water-girt island their hoME
..

   Lime Springs Herald  Thursday, November 07, 1940 Lime Springs, Iowa
...Hegland. Cut Off My Heels and CALL ME SHORTY Harold Munkel. Night. Send ME
.....for hones and cows with good hides. CALL as for yoar small nlfiiiila
too..

 Daily Gleaner  Thursday, December 01, 1949 Kingston, Kingston
...Players LaMEnt Cut Off My Lew And CALL ME SHORTY Harlem Stop a m You've
Got ME.....Be a Lesson To You SoMEthing Tells ME Jubilee MExican Swing Satchel
Mouth..

 Daily Gleaner  Monday, December 05, 1949 Kingston, Kingston
...LaMEnt Cut Off.My Lew And-CALL ME SHORTY Harlem Stop You've Got ME
.....Family Solitude Thanks a Million ME And ME Brother Bill Savoy Blues LoVe..

 Daily Times News   Thursday, November 02, 1967 Burlington, North Carolina
...In Free Well, Cut Off My Legs And CALL ME SHORTY This may appear to be a
chorus.....coach should have a chauffeur he can CALL his own. Paul Dietzel,
recuperating..

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1.  'You Are What You Eat' Adage Is the Long and Short of It
By Ida Jean Kain. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jun 16,
1947. p. B5 (1 page) :
_CUT OFF MY BREAD AND CALL ME SHORTY_

    2.  Actor With Guitar
HOWARD THOMPSON.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 4,
1958. p. 15 (1 page):
AS the lad himself might say, cut my legs off and call me Shorty! Elvis
Presley can act.