"Cut off my legs and call me shorty" (1939)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Nov 14 02:44:14 UTC 2004

On Nov 13, 2004, at 8:44 PM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      "Cut off my legs and call me shorty" (1939)
> --------
>
> I ran across this (perhaps Fred Shapiro-worthy):
>

> http://www.livejournal.com/users/teegerthelemur/friends
> Random sayings I found on a website......
>
> "I'm off like a bride's nightgown"
> "Your ass is grass and I'm the lawn mower"

In the Army in the '50's, "Your ass is grass, etc." was a common saying
(still?) used by Basic-Training cadre.

> "Busier than a one legged cat tryin' to bury shit on a marble floor."
> "Well cut off my legs and call me shorty!"

As a child in Texas, I used to hear a variant: "Lordy, Lordy,
nineteen-forty! Cut my legs and call me 'Shorty'!"
Sheriff Mike Shaw, a character on the old "Tom Mix" radio show, used to
say, "Well, bow my legs and call me "Bandy!"

-Wilson Gray