"di?nt" (with glottal stop)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 15 18:48:06 UTC 2004

At 12:38 AM -0500 11/15/04, Alice Faber wrote:
>--On Sunday, November 14, 2004 10:57 PM -0500 "Mark A. Mandel"
><mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
>
>>A question from a friend in Boston:

Indeed.  And I've also heard it in Connecticut, as the counterpart of
the phenomenon we discussed a couple of months ago in voiceless
examples, as in "kitten", "mitten", "New Britain", etc.  But this is
perhaps restricted to this particular voiced context; I don't think
I've heard it with "hidden", where "a [hI?In] message" would be
perceived as the implausible "hittin' message".  Arnold can probably
explain all this (if anyone can).

larry