wag 'carry/lug/haul'

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Nov 15 20:58:21 UTC 2004

Damn, Mark! I've been meaning to submit this word, myself! I've known
it my whole life. But, since I have no documentation for it and I've
been raked over the coals for submitting stuff that only I knew about,
I kept putting it off.
In any case, I definitely have your back on this one! Among black [I
hate to have to keep specifying the speaker's race, but those who are
old enough remember the really bad old days, when merely being in the
presence of a white person, male or female, with the wrong expression
on his face could cost a black man his ass] women in East Texas, it
pretty much replaces "tote," which is guy-talk. A man _totes_ , whereas
a woman _wags_ a load of groceries home, _wags_ a child in her arms,
_wags_ a bag of laundry on her back, etc. I can't swear that women
didn't also use "tote," but I can say that males didn't/don't? use
"wag" with the meaning of "bear, carry, tote," etc.

Your friend may be using quotes because "wag" is chick-talk. Probably
not, but wouldn't it be far out if that was the case?!

-Wilson Gray